- Age: 70’s
- Medical History: mitral valve disorder, arthritis, congestive heart failure
- Prior Independence Level: lived alone and was independent in her home and community.
- Hospitalization: mitral valve repair and atrial appendage resection
- Duration of stay: 8 weeks
- Admission Status: required moderate assistance with her self care, maximum assistance with transfers and moderate assistance to use a rolling walker for a distance of 20 feet. Her ability to communicate and her cognition were moderately to maximally impaired.
- Therapy Received: Physical, Occupational and Speech therapy
- Discharge Status: she was able to walk 600 feet using a cane. She needed only small modifications to her environment to perform independently across the areas of self care, transfers, communication and cognition.
- Discharge Living Arrangements: returned to her home alone with the support of her family as needed.